Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Within Word Pattern Spellers, Global Third Edition presents 59 prepared sorts covering the complete curriculum of word study for learners in the within word pattern stage of spelling development. Complete with blackline masters, specific teacher directions, suggestions for follow-up activities, and spellchecks for ongoing assessment, the word sort lessons in this book help teachers to encourage students to think about words and reach conclusions about how the spelling system works.
This 3rd Edition includes a number of new features to support effective teaching and learning, such as clearly stated generalisations for each lesson, suggestions on how to explore the meaning of words, and application activities that ask students to use the generalisation to spell unfamiliar words and develop spelling and decoding strategies. Together, the Words Their Way core text and this supplement provide teachers with the knowledge and tools to meet the wide range of needs in today's classrooms.
Notes for the Teacher are found in each unit, and provide placement guidelines and background information about the features of study. The notes also describe weekly routines that ensure practice and enrichment, while offering suggestions for literature connections and games.
A number of new features support effective teaching and learning, including:
- Clearly stated generalisations for each lesson, along with suggestions on how to explore the meaning of words, and application activities to help students use the generalisation to spell unfamiliar words and develop spelling and decoding strategies
- Expanded step-by-step directions for each sort to encourage active thinking and open discussions with questions to guide reflection and generalising
- Clear guidelines for placing students in the lesson progression, along with suggestions for modifying the progression of sorts using a pacing chart
- A goal setting form to help teachers more accurately monitor students’ progress throughout each unit
- Literature Connections make links between features being studied and valuable children’s literature
- Targeted Learners sections clarify which students will benefit most from the instruction
- High Frequency Words receive special attention
- Directions for how to introduce the sort as well as additional teaching tips in each lesson are included