Delivery mode: Online; Time and duration: 20 hours of online coursework, over approximately 10 weeks.
The comprehensive online Westmead Feelings Program 1 Facilitator Certification Course enables professionals to implement the 15-month Westmead Feelings Program 1 intervention program in school, private practise and hospital settings. It is designed to provide professionals with the knowledge, skills and confidence to effectively implement the 15-month Westmead Feelings Program 1 intervention in their setting to the highest standard.
This course is suitable for teachers, special educators, psychologists and allied health and disability practitioners who intend to provideWestmead Feelings Program 1 in their setting, and wish to gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to successfully implement the program.
Intended learning outcomes
Participants will be able to:
- demonstrate the capacity to useWestmead Feelings Program 1, including all key resources, to teach children with ASD and mild ID the skills required for understanding emotions, problem solving, perspective taking and managing emotions
- demonstrate the capacity to useWestmead Feelings Program 1 to teach parents and teachers of children with ASD and mild ID how to be ‘emotion coaches’, supporting skill development in understanding emotions, problem solving, perspective taking and managing emotions
- analyse and critically evaluate a range of positive behaviour support strategies to be able to effectively deliver Westmead Feelings Program 1 to autistic children with mild ID
- apply knowledge to implement differentiated teaching strategies.
Course in detail
The course consists of four units and two learning assurance tasks. It covers proficiency in 12 separate areas of Westmead Feelings Program 1, through interactive tasks, activities and videos.
- Unit 1: introduction and overview
- Unit 2: Teaching ‘Westmead Feelings Program 1 Module 1: Understanding emotions’ to children, parents and teachers
- Unit 3: Teaching ‘Westmead Feelings Program 1 Module 2: Problem solving and perspective taking’ to children, parents and teachers
- Unit 4: Teaching ‘Westmead Feelings Program 1 Module 3: Managing emotions’ to children, parents and teachers.
Learning assurance tasks
The learning assurance tasks are a multiple-choice quiz and a 5−10 minute video demonstrating proficiency in one area of the Westmead Feelings Program 1 delivery. On successful completion of the course, participants will receive an accredited certificate, enabling participants to facilitate Westmead Feelings Program 1 at the highest standard with children, parents and teachers in schools, hospitals and other relevant clinical settings, and the opportunity to be listed on ACER’s online certified practitioners’ register.
AITSL Professional Standards for Teachers
The course specifically addresses Professional Knowledge standards 1.5 and 1.6.
Standard 1.5: Differentiate teaching to meet the specific learning needs of students across the full range of abilities.
Standard 1.6: Strategies to support full participation of students with disability.
The Psychology Board of Australia
The Westmead Feelings Program 1 Facilitator Certification Course satisfies the guidelines for 20 hours of continuing professional development required for the annual registration of psychologists