Thousands of schools throughout the United States, Canada, Australia and other countries have become Tribes Learning Communities (TLC) - safe and caring environments in which students can thrive.
Creating a positive school or classroom environment is the most effective way to improve behaviour and learning.
Using Tribes, students achieve because they:
- Feel included and appreciated by peers and teachers
- Are respected for their different abilities, cultures, gender, interests and dreams
- Are actively involved in their own learning
- Have positive expectations from others that they will succeed.
The clear purpose of the Tribes process is to assure the healthy development of every child so that each one has the knowledge, skills and resiliency to be successful in a rapidly changing world.
How it Works
Tribes is a step-by-step process to achieve specific learning goals. Four agreements are honoured:
- Attentive listening
- Appreciation/no put downs
- Mutual respect, and
- The right to pass
Students learn a set of collaborative skills so they can work well together in long-term groups (tribes). They focus on helping each other work on tasks, set goals to solve problems, monitor progress and celebrate their achievements.