What is good mathematics teaching? What is mathematics teaching good for? Who is mathematics teaching for?
Under-pinned by findings from the largest research programme into primary mathematics funded in recent years, Transforming Primary Mathematics offers a clear, practical approach to implementing fundamental change in curriculum, classroom environment and teaching styles. It offers an inspiring, sometimes controversial, and often unconventional look at the subject of mathematics, by:
- Endorsing the use of a `new mathematics' - one based on problem solving, modelling and inquiry, not on abstract rules, memorising, and regurgitation
- Arguing that there is more to maths teaching than `death by a thousand worksheets'
- Challenging norms, such as the practice of sorting children into sets based on their perceived mathematical ability
- Advocating an environment where teachers are encouraged to take risks
- Looking at how best to prepare learners for an unknown future
- Encouraging reflection on teachers' own beliefs and values about mathematics.
Transforming Primary Mathematics is for all primary school teachers who want to make mathematics welcoming, engaging, inclusive and successful.