Range: Years 3–10
Purpose: To identify comprehension levels, measure progress and use content-referenced interpretation to identify skills requiring further instruction.
Administration: Untimed, 30–45 minutes (group or individual)
Tests of Reading Comprehension Third Edition (TORCH-3) is a best-selling Australian assessment designed to assist teachers in their assessment of Year 3 to Year 10 students’ reading comprehension skills. This new edition replaces TORCH Second Edition and TORCH Plus, building on the popular features of the test and includes nine new passages and items.
The engaging full-colour, illustrated Test Booklet contains 16 fiction and non-fiction reading passages in a variety of text types. Test items are classified according to the Reader Behaviour Framework, which can be used to inform teaching and learning.
All the tests and test items are on the same scale, which allows teachers to compare the reading abilities of students and track reading progress over time, regardless of which passage has been used.
Alternative passages for each year level allow for testing at the beginning and the end of each school year or program. New normative information allows comparison of student performance with a stratified Australian national sample.
TORCH can be used for a variety of purposes:
- As an estimate of reading achievement
- To help assess the extent to which objectives of the school reading curriculum are being achieved
- To confirm or supplement other estimates of a student’s achievement in reading
- To provide information that may be used in setting realistic goals and planning effective programs of work
- To identify students who are making unsatisfactory progress so that they may be given special diagnostic and remedial attention
- To locate areas of weakness and strength for individuals or within a class
- To monitor student reading achievement over time.
Reading Passage Sample
Answer Sheet Sample