Purpose: Identify the early skills required for language development
Age: 1-3 years
Time: 10-15 minutes
The Symbolic Play Test: Second Edition is a standardised assessment that helps professionals identify the early skills required for language development, through the observation of children as they play with miniature objects in a variety of situations.
This observation provides an objective indication of a child’s early concept formation and symbolisation – abilities that precede and develop alongside receptive and expressive language.
The test consists of four independent situations, in which four sets of attractive miniature objects are presented to children in a set order, enabling the user to observe if the child relates to them appropriately.
The objects presented lend themselves to a variety of meaningful interrelationships. The basis of the scoring system is the number of meaningful responses and connections the child is able to make with objects presented to them.
- It is an engaging and appropriate assessment for young children, utilising the natural practice of play to draw conclusions
- The test can be used to inform further intervention planning.
The following qualifications are required to access this product. Please login or register to proceed
Please contact ACER Customer Service on 1800 338 402 (toll free) if you have any queries.
Already registered, please login
Specialist: Psychology (S1)
- Master degree in psychology OR
- Bachelor degree in psychology, PLUS evidence of postgraduate qualifications in psychometric testing
Specialist: Speech Therapist (S2)
- Master degree in Speech Pathology OR
- Bachelor degree in Speech Pathology, PLUS evidence of postgraduate qualifications in psychometric testing