Purpose: Assist students to learn dependable spelling skills
Age: 5-13 (Grade Levels 1–6)
Spelling Mastery builds dependable spelling skills for students in grades 1-6 through a highly structured direct instruction method that blends the following approaches:
- Phonemic approach - helps beginning spellers learn the relationships between spoken sounds and written letters and then apply them to spelling
- Morphemic approach - exposes advanced spellers to prefixes, bases, and suffixes
- Whole-word approach - gives spellers at all levels the meaning and root of a word and shows how the word's spelling is influenced.
Spelling Mastery interweaves these three approaches according to students' skill development and provides straightforward lessons to help efficiently and effectively teach the spelling skills students need to become proficient readers and writers.
Explicit instruction, careful selection of spelling words, and repeated and cumulative practice help students master each concept and reinforce and retain key information.
- Only 15-20 minutes per lesson
- Concentrated strategy instruction reduces the number of words students must memorise
- Systematic review of every skill, pattern and rule ensures long-term retention
- Can be used with individuals or whole classes
- Effective with advanced, average, academically challenged learners and English Language Learners.
Spelling Mastery Placement Tests (update as of 2018)