So You Want to Be a Doctor? is written specifically for young people who are considering embarking on a medical degree, as well as for those already enrolled.
This essential guide covers:
- Prerequisites for admission into medical school at both undergraduate and graduate-entry level
- What to expect as a qualified doctor in Australia today - and what the Australian community expects in its doctors
- Life as a student, from the application, selection and interview process, to the pressures of study, advice on managing stress and distress, and where to get help if needed
- The 18 medical schools in Australia, their similarities and differences and particular focus or strengths
- The Australian health care system and career paths for medical graduates.
It includes advice about study methods, financial support, and balancing study with part-time work and a social life, as well as information that is relevant to specific groups such as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, international students and students with a disability.
So You Want to Be a Doctor? provides all the information a prospective medical student might need to decide on pursuing a career in medicine and to survive and thrive during the course of their study.