Purpose: To identify students who are gifted and/or talented in general ability and academic aptitude.
Time: 15-30 minutes per subtest
Administration: Individual; Group
The Screening Assessment for Gifted Elementary and Middle School Students–Third Edition (SAGES-3) has two levels, each with four subtests: SAGES-3: K–3 for students in kindergarten through third grade and SAGES-3: 4–8 for students in fourth through eighth grade.
- Nonverbal Reasoning: Measures the student’s ability to solve problems by identifying relationships among figures and pictures.
- Language Arts/Social Studies: Measures the student’s achievement in Language Arts (i.e., literature, writing) and Social Studies.
- Verbal Reasoning: Measures the student’s ability to solve problems by identifying the relationships between pairs of words.
- Mathematics/Science: Measures the student’s abilities in mathematics and science.
The SAGES-3 provides two domain composites (Reasoning Ability and Academic Ability) and one overall composite (General Ability). The indexes of the Nonverbal Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning subtests combine to form the Reasoning Ability composite, and the indexes of the Language Arts/Social Studies and Mathematics/Science subtests combine to form the Academic Ability composite. The four subtest indexes combine to form the General Ability composite.
New Features in the Third Edition
- All-new normative data were collected from 2015 to 2017
- An additional subtest, Verbal Reasoning, was added to sample more than one aspect of reasoning
- The test now has two domain composite scores (Reasoning Ability and Academic Ability), as well as an overall composite score (General Ability)
- Items were added to each subtest to eliminate possible ceiling effects
- The normative information is stratified by age relative to geography, gender, race, ethnicity, household income, and educational attainment of parents
- New and extensive studies of test bias (both differential item functioning and subgroup comparison studies) were conducted, indicating that the SAGES-3 possesses little or no bias in regard to gender, race, or ethnicity
- New and extensive studies of the floors, ceilings, and item gradients for the SAGES-3’s subtests and composite were conducted. The results indicate that the SAGES-3 has substantial and consistently excellent ceilings, even for the oldest and brightest examinees whose aptitude may be assessed by the instrument
- All-new reliability and validity studies were prepared, including diagnostic accuracy analyses, which are considered the most rigorous techniques for establishing validity today. These analyses involve the computation of sensitivity and specificity indexes and the receiver operating characteristic/area under the curve (ROC/AUC) statistic
The following qualifications are required to access this product. Please login or register to proceed
Please contact ACER Customer Service on 1800 338 402 (toll free) if you have any queries.
Already registered, please login
- Assessments that are for school use only
- Assessments may only be purchased by schools or approved education institutions
Specialist: Psychology (S1)
- Master degree in psychology OR
- Bachelor degree in psychology, PLUS evidence of postgraduate qualifications in psychometric testing
Specialist: Special Education (S6)
- Master degree in Special Education OR
- Bachelor degree in Special Education, PLUS evidence of postgraduate qualifications in psychometric testing