Age: Year 5 – Adult
Time: 15 – 30 minutes
Administration: Individual; Group
The Reading-Free Vocational Interest Inventory–Third Edition (RFVII-3) is a nonverbal measure of vocational interests of users from Grade 5 through adult. It uses illustrations of individuals engaged in different occupations to measure the vocational likes and dislikes of students and adults who have intellectual disabilities or learning disabilities, are struggling readers, or anyone who prefers a pictorial display. No reading or writing is required.
- Reading-free, self-report vocational interest inventory
- Matches vocational interests with potential careers and career clusters
- Paper and online administration options with online scoring
- 80 full-colour, illustrated items contain three images of people engaged in a wide range of occupations
- Generates a thorough individualised Interpretive Report
- A group report is also available
The RFVII-3 is easy to administer and score. For each of the 80 items, examinees select the one illustration out of three that they find most interesting. The RFVII-3 displays a wide range of occupations from those requiring little to no training to those for which considerable training is needed.
After completing the survey, users are shown vivid, on-screen results aligning their interests with the 16 Career Clusters defined by the U.S. Department of Education. The 16 Career Clusters are a framework used by schools and state agencies in the USA to organise jobs and career information to make it more accessible to consumers, counselors, and others exploring jobs and occupations, can then be compared and explored based on the examinee’s interests.
The Career Clusters include:
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, Audio/Video Technology & Communications
- Business, Management & Administration
- Education & Training
- Government & Public Administration
- Health Science
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Human Services
- Information Technology
- Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security
- Marketing, Sales & Service
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Transportation, Distribution & Logistics
The RFVII-3 is appropriate for use by teachers, psychologists, counselors, or other vocational and educational personnel in schools, career and technology programs, vocational rehabilitation centers, and other job training and career placement facilities.
Reliability studies examined test–retest reliability and the equivalency between paper and online administration. Test–retest reliability coefficients range from .63 to .87 (large to very large) and equivalency coefficients range from .79 to .89 (very large). Items for the RFVII-3 were developed after a thorough review of the current literature, which supports the content-description validity of the test. Extensive field-testing was completed with populations ranging in age from Grade 5 through age 65; students in general education, special education, ESL classes, community-based programs for young adults with intellectual disabilities, and college classes.
The complete kit serves 25 users, either with paper or online administration. All scoring is then completed online. Forms include an activation code and instructions for online scoring.
Sample Interpretive Report
RFVII-3 User Guide