Range: Comprehension: Foundation to Year 10; Vocabulary: Years 3 to 10; Spelling: Years 2 to 10
Purpose: To monitor progress in reading comprehension, vocabulary and spelling, and to provide teachers with diagnostic information to inform teaching.
Administration: Comprehension: 40 minutes (group – except for the Test Booklet P, which is individual. Test Booklets P and 1 are untimed.); Vocabulary: 25 minutes (group); Spelling: 20 minutes (group)
The PAT Reading Fourth Edition is a thoroughly researched and normed test for measuring and tracking student achievement in reading comprehension, word knowledge and spelling. It provides teachers with objective information for setting realistic learning goals and planning effective programs.
The content of the tests has been updated to reflect the variety of text and format types that students encounter, current language use, technological advances and the use of testing for in-depth diagnosis and intervention.
- Eleven normed and graded comprehension tests for the first year of school to 10
- Five normed and graded vocabulary tests for Years 3 to 10
- Nine normed spelling lists for Years 2 to 10
- A common scale for comprehension, vocabulary and spelling, each covering a wide range of year levels and allowing progress to be tracked from year to year
- Comprehensive norm, diagnostic and descriptive reports
- Comprehension and vocabulary scales that are similar to previous editions of PAT Reading, allowing for easy conversion of scores from the third to fourth edition
- Copy masters of administration instructions, score keys and reports.
- Track students’ literacy progress from the first year of school to Year 10
- Identify students who require help to develop literacy skills and students who would benefit from literacy extension
- Use results to confirm school-based assessment
- Use item classification to plan your literacy teaching strategies
- Monitor development of spelling skills using the Australian normed spelling lists.
Go further with the PAT Teaching Resources Centre!
The PAT Teaching Resources Centre is on online portal that provides teachers with access to resources, research-based strategies and lesson plans that can be used to build the knowledge and skills of each individual student in your day-to-day classroom practice.
Strengthen the knowledge and skills of your students, with tailored content and specific tools designed to build competency and confidence in both literacy and mathematics.
The PAT Teaching Resources Centre offers educators valuable support for turning PAT results into real, tangible learning outcomes.
Find out more and register for PAT Teaching Resources Centre today.
Sample Comprehension questions
Sample Vocabulary questions
Sample Comprehension individual report
Sample Vocabulary individual report
Sample Spelling individual report
Sample group report
PAT Reading Comprehension alignment to the NSW continuum
PAT-R 4th Edition Related Products
PAT-R 4th Edition - Vocabulary
PAT-R 4th Edition - Comprehension
PAT Reading Advanced Comprehension series: This new series offers more difficult comprehension tests at levels 2-6 for students that demonstrate a higher level of achievement.