Purpose: To assess reading accuracy, reading behaviour and in-depth reading comprehension.
Age: 8-15 years
The PROBE 2 is primarily designed to be a controlled in-depth interview to help teachers achieve a greater understanding of how readers engage with text and what specific teaching is required.
Suitable for students ages 8-15, the PROBE2 can also be used with younger students who decode well, or with students learning to read English as a second language.
- 40 original new texts
- Twenty levels (5 to 15.5 years with 6 month overlaps)
- Fiction and non-fiction at every level
- Targeted, defined comprehension questions
- No pictures & minimal title clues (for testing text only)
- Culturally & geographically non-specific texts
- Greater Precision with questions design and matching the answers
- Inclusion of the Determiner in the Manual (not a separate book as with the older edition)
- Expanded answer section – one page per text
- Key words with all answers
There are six targeted and defined question types for a clearer analysis of the reader’s comprehension ability:
- LITERAL: Finding information that is given directly in the text. Answers are found in a single sentence.
- REORGANISATION: Reconstructing two or more literal pieces of information contained in the text. Pieces can be within two adjacent sentences or scattered throughout the text.
- INFERENCE: Deducing information not given directly in the text. 'Simple' inference (relevant information is not widely scattered).
- VOCABULARY: Determining the meaning of unknown words from context. Vocabulary questions can be solved within context.
- EVALUATION: Gathering information and drawing inferences. 'Complex' inference (relevant information is more widely spread).
- REACTION: Expressing an opinion based on information given in the text. The text has to form the basis of that opinion.
The PROBE 2 Kit Includes:
- Manual – Including Guide, Determiner, Answers (with keywords) & Copymasters
- Student Texts - Including Students' Guide, Determiner wordlists & Texts with questions
- A Students' Guide to the PROBE Assessment CD
When multiple copies of the (full) PROBE 2 Assessment kit are required and budgets are limited, the PROBE 2 Supplementary kit provides an alternative.
The KEY series is directly linked to PROBE question types. Find out more about the KEY into Reorganisation, Inference and Evaluation.