Purpose: To measure the accuracy, comprehension and rate of reading, monitor reading progress and obtain diagnostic observations of reading behaviour.
Range: 6–12.11 years of age and special needs students through to adult level
Administration: Untimed, approximately 20 minutes – individual
The Neale Analysis for Reading Ability is a best selling reading assessment tool, covering oral reading and comprehension, discrimination of initial and final sounds, names and sounds of the alphabet, graded spelling, auditory discrimination and bloending, word lists and silent reading and writing.
Standardised Test 1 and 2 are parallel sets of six graded passages of prose, each forming a continuous reading scale for students aged 6-12.
Diagnostic Tutor Forms A and B comprise parallel sets of six passages with comprehension questions. The Neale 3rd Edition Diagnostic Tutor Forms, while parallel in style and grading to the standardised forms, are without norms.
- Diagnoses specific reading needs
- Provides standardised scores, reading ages and national profile levels
- Facilitates appropriate teaching strategies
- Provides for recording of qualitative information
- Oral reading and comprehension
- Discrimination of initial and final sounds
- Names and sounds of the alphabet
- Graded spelling
- Auditory discrimination and blending
- Word lists
- Silent reading and writing