Clinicians increasingly face the challenge of recognising the full range of autism spectrum differences and engaging individuals in productive diagnostic interviews. Participants in this workshop will learn to engage children, adolescents, and adults in sensory-based interviews using the Monteiro Interview Guidelines For Diagnosing the Autism Spectrum, Second Edition (MIGDAS-2) diagnostic interview system.
The session will highlight the use of the MIGDAS-2 visual framework and descriptive language to individualise the diagnosis of autism spectrum differences across age and ability levels. Topics include gaining proficiency in structuring the sensory-based diagnostic interview using the Descriptive Triangle positive language, and differential diagnosis considerations.
- Use the MIGDAS-2 system and protocols to engage children, adolescents, and adults in interactive clinical interviews that highlight areas of strengths and differences both remotely and in person
- Gain essential tools to conduct a sensory-based diagnostic interview with individuals whose communication skills range from verbally fluent to functionally nonverbal using the MIGDAS-2 system and protocols
- Use the MIGDAS-2 system to organize diagnostic observations and describe individuals in positive and descriptive terms
- Integrate the use of the MIGDAS-2 process with the use of at least three additional measures, such as autism-specific behavior rating scales and the ADOS-2
- Learn to develop individualized Brain Style Profiles across age and ability levels