Implementation of Large-Scale Education Assessments presents a comprehensive treatment of issues related to the inception, design, implementation and reporting of large-scale education assessments.
In recent years many countries have decided to become involved in international educational assessments to allow them to ascertain the strengths and weaknesses of their student populations. Assessments such as the OECD's Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), the IEA's Trends in Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) and Progress in International Reading Literacy (PIRLS) have provided opportunities for comparison between students of different countries on a common international scale.
This book is designed to give researchers, policy makers and practitioners a well-grounded knowledge in the design, implementation, analysis and reporting of international assessments. Readers will be able to gain a more detailed insight into the scientific principles employed in such studies allowing them to make better use of the results. The book will also give readers an understanding of the resources needed to undertake and improve the design of educational assessments in their own countries and regions.
- Brings together the editors’ extensive experience in creating, designing, implementing, analysing and reporting results on a wide range of assessments
- Emphasises methods for implementing international studies of student achievement and obtaining highquality data from cognitive tests and contextual questionnaires
- Discusses the methods of sampling, weighting, and variance estimation that are commonly encountered in international large-scale assessments
- Provides direction and stimulus for improving global educational assessment and student learning
- Is written by experts in the field, with an international perspective.
Survey researchers, market researchers and practitioners engaged in comparative projects will all benefit from the unparalleled breadth of knowledge and experience in large-scale educational assessments gathered in this one volume.