Higher Ability Selection Test (HAST) is an ability test used by secondary schools that identifies the very brightest students for selective entry, accelerated learning and gifted and talented programs. HAST focuses on assessing higher-order, cross curricular reasoning skills that are characteristic of gifted students.
The HAST Sample Question Booklet provides an opportunity to reflect on the types of skills required of the candidate but it is not designed to teach candidates these skills. Higher order thinking skills are developed over a long period of time or they are skills that are innate and natural to you.
To familiarise yourself with the HAST, work through the questions as if you were sitting a timed test, and as a guide allow 1-2 minutes per question.
Skill areas covered are:
- Reading Comprehension (21 questions)
- Mathematical Reasoning (16 questions)
- Abstract Reasoning (12 questions)
- Written Expression (2 extended writing tasks)
- Suitable for HAST Junior Secondary Level (Years 6 & 7)
- Provides an indication of item style and test format at Middle Secondary Level (Years 8 & 9)
- Answers contained at the back of the booklet
- 49 questions in total
- Two written expression prompts (one discussion, one creative)
For further questions about the HAST assessment or HAST assessment preparation, please contact the HAST team on +61 3 9277 5625 or firstname.lastname@example.org