The Devereux Student Strengths Assessment (DESSA) is a 72-item, standardised, norm-referenced behaviour rating scale that assesses the social-emotional competencies that serve as protective factors for children in kindergarten through to year eight.
Available as a hard-copy or online assessment, the DESSA can identify children at risk of developing social-emotional problems, assess skills related to social-emotional competence, resilience and academic success and identify social-emotional strengths and needs for individualised education programs.
The assessment is entirely strength-based, meaning that the items query positive behaviours (e.g., get along with others) rather than maladaptive ones (e.g., annoy others).
The DESSA Manual provides information on:
- Uses of the DESSA and Qualifications of DESSA Users and Raters
- Test Development and Standardisation
- Psychometric Properties
- Interpretation & the DESSA Scales
- The Rationale and Use of the DESSA in a Unified Model of Prevention
The following qualifications are required to access this product. Please login or register to proceed
Please contact ACER Customer Service on 1800 338 402 (toll free) if you have any queries.
Already registered, please login
- Assessments that are for school use only
- Assessments may only be purchased by schools or approved education institutions
Specialist: Psychology (S1)
- Master degree in psychology OR
- Bachelor degree in psychology, PLUS evidence of postgraduate qualifications in psychometric testing
Specialist: Social Work (S4)
- Master degree in Social Work OR
- Bachelor degree in Social Work, PLUS evidence of postgraduate qualifications in psychometric testing
Specialist: Special Education (S6)
- Master degree in Special Education OR
- Bachelor degree in Special Education, PLUS evidence of postgraduate qualifications in psychometric testing