Purpose: To assess students’ reasoning abilities to provide guidance around instructional decisions and strategies
Age: Prep to Year 12
By measuring three separate cognitive domains, the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) provides a broad perspective on a student by identifying strengths and weaknesses other instruments would miss.
The three cognitive domains include:
- Verbal reasoning abilities
- Quantitative reasoning abilities
- Non-verbal reasoning abilities
- High reliability and validity ensure educators can trust the results, even for high-stakes decision-making
- ELL-friendly test construction provides equity and fairness
- Unique Ability Profiles are linked to instructional strategies, enabling teachers to adapt instruction to each student’s learning preferences
- Provides a reliable and valid measure when determining eligibility for gifted and talented programs
- New Screening Form option offers shorter administration time for a quick data point
- Maximises identification of students across all subgroup populations
- Offers a choice of administration modes so that educators may select the option that best suits their needs
- Greatly expanded ancillary resources provide opportunities for professional development and help to get the most out of testing
- Attractive and colourful design engages students
- Addition of more rigorous items at each level measures a broad range of abilities at each level.
- CogAT results can be interpreted through Data Manager if schools use ACER’s test scoring services to mark the CogAT answer sheets. Data Manager allows teachers to produce customised reports for their student population. Download the CogAT Test Scoring order form here.
Recommended Year Levels
Test Booklet 5/6: Prep
Test Booklet 7: Year 1
Test Booklet 8: Year 2
Test Booklet 9: Year 3
Test Booklet 10: Year 4
Test Booklet 11: Year 5
Test Booklet 12: Year 6
Test Booklet 13/14: Years 7 & 8
Test Booklet 15/16: Years 9 & 10
Test Booklet 17/18: Years 11 & 12
View the new CogAT Research Paper - The Essentials: Using Ability Tests in Gifted and Talented Identification Programs.
Also see the CogAT Screening Form
The following qualification is required to access this product. Please login or register to proceed
Please contact ACER Customer Service on 1800 338 402 (toll free) if you have any queries.
Already registered, please login
- Assessments that are for school use only
- Assessments may only be purchased by schools or approved education institutions