The Behavioural Exchange Systems Training (BEST) program is a 'how-to' guide for counsellors dealing with families touched by substance abuse.
Based on a nine-step intervention program developed by the three therapist-authors, BEST offers strategies for helping parents cope with their child's substance abuse. With its foundation in real-world practice, BEST is a highly useful resource for reducing stresses in families where there is substance abuse.
BEST consists of eight sessions that cover:
- Group introduction
- Substance abuse and the family
- Adolescent development
- Choices, responsibility and consequences
- Encouraging responsible adolescents
- Implementing family change strategies
- Group completion and future planning