Purpose: To assess and diagnose Autism Spectrum Disorder across age, developmental level and language skills
Age: 1+ years of age
Time: 40-60 minutes
The Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule 2nd ed. (ADOS-2) is a semi-structured, standardised assessment of communication, social interaction, play, and restricted and repetitive behaviours. By observing and coding these behaviours, you can obtain information that informs diagnosis, intervention, treatment planning, and educational placement.
With updated protocols, revised algorithms, a new Comparison Score, and a Toddler Module, the ADOS-2 provides a highly accurate picture of current symptoms, unaffected by language. It can be used to evaluate almost anyone suspected of having autism spectrum disorder (ASD)—from 1-year-olds with no speech to adults who are verbally fluent.
The new Toddler Module is designed specifically for children between 12 and 30 months of age who do not consistently use phrase speech. Existing ADOS-2 components have been revised, and new components added, to more accurately identify toddlers at risk for ASD. The Toddler Module engages the child with loosely structured activities involving highly motivating materials. The goal, again, is to see if the child demonstrates behaviours associated with ASD.
As in Modules 1 through 4, observations are coded immediately following administration, and the codes are converted to algorithm scores. However, Toddler Module algorithms provide "ranges of concern" rather than cut-off scores. These ranges help you form clinical impressions, but they avoid formal classification which may not be appropriate at such a young age.
The ADOS-2 includes five modules, each requiring just 40 to 60 minutes to administer. The individual being evaluated is given only one module, selected on the basis of his or her expressive language level and chronological age. Each module engages the examinee in a series of activities involving interactive stimulus materials.
1. Toddler Module—for children between 12 and 30 months of age who do not consistently use phrase speech
2. Module 1—for children 31 months and older who do not consistently use phrase speech
3. Module 2—for children of any age who use phrase speech but are not verbally fluent
4. Module 3—for verbally fluent children and young adolescents
5. Module 4—for verbally fluent older adolescents and adults
In Modules 1 through 4, algorithm scores are compared with cutoff scores to yield one of three classifications: autism, autism spectrum, or non-spectrum. The difference between autism and autism spectrum classifications is one of severity, with the former indicating more pronounced symptoms. In the Toddler Module, algorithms yield “ranges of concern” rather than classification scores.
ADOS-2 administration and coding are highly standardized. Therefore, valid assessment requires training. Three training options are available:
1. ADOS-2 Clinical Workshop (not offered via ACER)
2. ADOS-2 Training Package DVD (702ADS): Offers instruction in all five modules. Total running time of approximately 14 hours.
3. ADOS-2 Upgrade Training DVD (703ADS): Covers the Toddler Module. Is for use only by individuals already trained in the ADOS Modules 1-4. Total running time of approximately 5 hours.
How do I upgrade?
Purchasing ADOS-2 for the first time?
You will need to purchase the ADOS-2 Handscore or ADOS-2 Software Kit. You will also need to either attend an in-house ADOS-2 Clinical Workshop, or purchase the ADOS-2 Training Package.
What if I already own an ADOS Kit?
You will need to purchase the ADOS-2 Handscore Upgrade or ADOS-2 Software Upgrade Kit. If you have already done ADOS training (for Module 1-4), you may purchase the ADOS-2 Upgrade Training DVD.