Academic life is complex; adjusting to life as a new academic requires a range of skills and abilities to fulfil the multiple roles the academic must play as researcher, teacher and administrator.
Robert Cantwell and Jill Scevak have brought together new academics and experienced educators from a variety of discipline backgrounds to provide clear and practical insights into the journey of entering the academic world.
Any new academic will find this book an invaluable resource for conceptualising and contextualising the academic world they are now part of.
The title looks at:
- Stories from early academics
- Issues related to teaching and learning
- Issues relating to the alignment of curriculum
- Intellectual demands of University study
- The nature of learning
- Assessment of learning
- Teaching and learning in lectures, tutorials and labs
- Research training
- Aspects of community service
- Social and cultural aspects of the academic life.