Browse by Category > Education > Indigenous Resources > Research Monograph No. 54: Enhancing English Literacy Skills In Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Students
Research Monograph No. 54: Enhancing English Literacy Skills In Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Students
Author(s): Margaret Batten, Tracey Frigo, Paul Hughes, Natascha McNamara
Publisher: ACER Press, 1998
***Out of print***
This report draws together theory and practical experience to provide a comprehensive picture of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander primary school education. The report includes:
- a review of literature examining the context of learning, government policies and reports, and English literacy development
- a series of diverse case studies in which teachers describe strategies that have improved the performance of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in the areas of reading, writing, speaking, viewing and listening
- an annotated bibliography
This report is for all those interested in the education of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in particular and literacy education in general.
The review of the literature is divided into three sections:
- the context of learning
- government policies and reports
- English literacy development
The first part of the case studies report contains individual school profiles compiled from documentation and from interviews with principals; teacher and student background information obtained from questionnaires, supplemented by interview data; and the outcomes of student testing.
The second part of the report relies on the information obtained from the interviews undertaken in the schools.