Range: Years 2 to 10
Purpose: To assist teachers in their assessment of students' learning potential and overall aptitude.
Administration: 40 minutes — group
The ACER General Ability Tests (AGAT) are a test of general ability suitable for students in Years 2 to 10. They are a thoroughly researched and nationally normed assessment instrument.
Each test includes verbal, numerical and abstract reasoning items.
- Large Australian norm sample
- Provide a multifaceted estimate of students’ level of general intellectual ability and aptitude
- Can be administered individually or to a large group
- A common scale for all nine tests gives teachers the flexibility to match test level to ability and monitor development over time
- Include percentiles and stanines that allow for comparison with a national norm group at different year levels
- Provide scale scores for different strands (verbal, numerical and abstract reasoning) to help identify specific strengths and development needs.
- Identify students who could be selected for extension programs
- Identify students who may need special diagnostic and remedial attention
- Compare results on AGAT with measures of student achievement
- Provide information that may be used in setting realistic goals and planning effective programs of work
- Locate areas of weakness and strength for individuals or within a class
- Monitor the development of students' reasoning abilities over time
- Provide an indication of learning potential.
AGAT comprises nine tests of increasing overall difficulty covering a range of year levels. The following is a guide to which test level is appropriate to each school year:
Test 1 - Year 2 or 3
Test 2 - Year 2 or 3 or 4
Test 3 - Year 3 or 4 or 5
Test 4 - Year 4 or 5 or 6
Test 5 - Year 5 or 6 or 7
Test 6 - Year 6 or 7 or 8
Test 7 - Year 7 or 8 or 9
Test 8 - Year 8 or 9 or 10
Test 9 - Year 8 or 9 or 10
The following qualification is required to access this product. Please login or register to proceed
Please contact ACER Customer Service on 1800 338 402 (toll free) if you have any queries.
Already registered, please login
- Assessments that are for school use only
- Assessments may only be purchased by schools or approved education institutions